San Leo is situated 583 meters above sea level in the Val Marecchia .
On the highest point of the spur rises the impregnable Fort , rebuilt by Francesco di Giorgio Martini , in the fifteenth century by order of Federico III da Montefeltro .
San Leo was the capital of the county of Montefeltro .
The city it hosts Dante and St. Francis d ‘ Assisi .
During the rule of the Papal fort it was turned into a prison where they were locked up the Count of Cagliostro , who died in 1795 , and Felice Orsini .
The panorama from San Leo is one of the most beautiful and characteristic of the region .